Chelsea injury recovery plan labelled 'an absolute mess' as Mauricio Pochettino dealt fresh blow
Chelsea news - The Blues are dealing with a number of major injury concerns and the reason for the sheer amount of fitness issues may have been revealed
The personal trainer of Trevoh Chalobah has slammed Chelsea's methods for preventing injuries in leaked messages that have since been deleted. Nine players are currently absent with injuries, including Chalobah, for the Blues after Noni Madueke and Moises Caicedo were the latest to miss some action because of muscular issues.
Marc Cucurella also missed the Bournemouth clash but Mauricio Pochettino specifically revealed that was because of a fever, while Caicedo and Madueke returned from international duty with minor knocks and therefore are expected to return this weekend against Aston Villa, as per the Daily Mail.
Injury issues plagued Chelsea last season and that has thus far continued into the new campaign under Pochettino, despite his thorough plan for the medical department. In the days leading up to his official arrival, it was revealed that his assistant Jesus Perez would have the task of working closely with the medics and physios to make sure all first-team players are in peak physical condition.
However, whatever is being done at Cobham does not look to currently be working and Chalobah's personal trainer may have revealed, via Daily Mail, exactly why. In a now-deleted Twitter post showing what appears to be a string of private messages on Instagram, Ed Hodge, who works with Chalobah, has explained why he thinks so many injuries are continuing to occur.
Hodge also revealed that Chalobah will be back at 90% sprinting ability by the end of the week. After his post received some mainstream traction, he clarified his relationship with Chalobah on Instagram and explained that his comments about Chelsea were simply just his opinion.
Chalobah very nearly left the club in the summer amid interest from former manager Thomas Tuchel's Bayern Munich and Nottingham Forest.
The German champions would have signed the 24-year-old on loan but the Blues were only interested in a permanent sale. Forest provided that in their proposal but Chalobah was less keen on moving to the City Ground as opposed to the Allianz Arena.
As a result reports emerged that Chalobah had been exiled from the squad and was therefore likely to be sold in January, however Pochettino dismissed those claims. “His future is going to be [here]. He is in our plans. No one is going to decide for me. He is going to be involved," he said on his pre-Bournemouth press conference.
"Now we have finished the transfer window, he is going to be involved in the decisions. Chalobah and the other players in the squad are part of my plans. Some players don’t play, but that is my choice. There is nothing to talk to him about this. He is a Chelsea player and he will have the same opportunities as the others.”
Chalobah is continuing his recovery behind the scenes, with Benoit Badiashile and Armando Broja expected back soon, however the same cannot be said for Romeo Lavia. According to the Evening Standard, the 19-year-old is set for at least another month more on the sidelines as he tries to recover from the injury he suffered a few weeks ago and is now not expected back until after the October international break which is after October 8.